EUROPEAN MOBILITY WEEK is an annual campaign on sustainable urban mobility which runs from 16-22 September 2017. The aim of the campaign is to encourage and promote sustainable transport measures and to invite people to try out alternatives to car use, i.e. walking, cycling, car sharing and public transport. Each year mobility week focuses on a particular topic. This year’s theme focusses on clean, shared and intelligent mobility - ‘Sharing gets you further’. By using shared forms of transport we can reduce our expenses and lower our carbon footprint. Best of all, we can meet new people and make our journey more sociable.
As part of Mobility Week, a Car Free Day will take place across County Kerry on Friday, 22nd September 2017. Everyone is encouraged to participate in this one day event by leaving the car at home and choosing an alternative form of transport, i.e. cycling, walking, car sharing or public transport.
Kerry County Council is delighted to invite members of the public to walk and cycle on the recently upgraded cycle and pedestrian facilities on Denny Street in Tralee Town which are part of the overall Tralee Active Travel initiative. Works on the new shared space in the Mall and Bridge Street Areas are ongoing but a large section of it is currently open to pedestrian traffic only so why not pull out the bike and cycle or walk to your new wonderful town centre. The Council will also be installing new bicycle stands on Princes Street opposite the Brandon Hotel.
Activities planned include:
- Historical walking tour of Tralee Town at 11am on Saturday 16th September (Ashe Memorial Hall)
- Free Travel on the Tralee Peoples Bus on Car Free Day Friday 22nd September
- Launch of Active Travel Smarter Travel Guide available at the Council Offices around Tralee and the Tralee Tourist Office.
- Free Parking at Brandon Carkpark for Mobility Week for carpoolers. To participate:
- Register on Carsharing.ie
- Join the Tralee Active Travel Group
- Add your Trip to the Group and include your vehicle registration. You will be issued a parking Tag.
- Display Tag with registration detail on the front dashboard of your vehicle.
Alternatively call in to Kerry County Council’s Capital Infrastructure Unit, Tralee Municipal District Area Office on Princes Quay to request partication and collect your Tag.